19 Apr Tobacco and fertility
Tobacco contains more than 4,000 toxic substances that influence the health of both men and women and, therefore, also affects their fertility in both cases. According to a study conducted by the ASRM (American Society for Reproductive Medicine) it is possible to affirm that 13% of infertility cases could be directly related to tobacco consumption.
The first recommendation of our fertility specialists is to maintain a healthy lifestyle through a varied diet, regular physical activity and to not abuse of substances such as alcohol or caffeine. Whether you want to conceive naturally or with the help of assisted reproduction, you must say goodbye to tobacco to increase your chances, since embryo implantation rates in smokers couples are lower compared to non-smoker ones. Also, chances are they need twice as many menstrual cycles are to achieve a natural gestation.
Does tobacco affect the fertility of men and women equally?
Nobody gets rid of the consequences of being a smoker. Male fertility is negatively affected due to the consumption of these harmful substances. Nicotine and toxic compounds present in the composition of cigarettes reduce the quality of sperm, increasing the chances of sperm DNA fragmentation and causing genetic problems that lower the chances of pregnancy.
As we have mentioned, the effects of tobacco on men are as daunting as on women. Male hormones are affected, causing alterations that affect the amount of sperm, their mobility and increasing the chances of suffering erectile dysfunction.
Can the effects of tobacco on fertility be reversed?
Not all is lost, since the good news is that it is possible to reverse much of the harmful effects that the consumption of these substances has caused in the reproductive organisms. If you are a smoker and wish to be parent, it is time to put aside these habits and start living a healthy and balanced life.
It is advisable to increase the consumption of natural foods and antioxidants to purify our body of toxic substances, and at the same time to avoid overweight that could be caused by a poor diet and a sedentary lifestyle.
Here is a food list with ingredients which are rich in antioxidants, that you can include your daily diet:
- Blueberries: A healthy and delicious snack, perfect to keep infections like cystitis at bay and provide us with a large amount of antioxidants.
- Broccoli: Providing more vitamin C than an orange and more calcium than a cup of milk, contains sulforaphane, a natural chemical related to the reduction of different types of cancer.
- Green tea: Consuming green tea regularly helps you lose weight thanks to its high concentration of polyphenols that speeds up the oxidation levels of fat and thermogenesis (fat burning).
- Artichokes: The heart of the steamed artichokes are the most delicious and this food also has a large amount of antioxidants. And not only that, it also acts as an anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antiviral, anticarcinogenic, etc.
- Pure cocoa: Although chocolate seems unhealthy, the fact is that taking a few ounces of 80% pure chocolate without added sugar provides fiber, iron, phosphorus, magnesium, zinc, selenium and a significant amount of antioxidants. Therefore, if you substitute the sweet cocoa in the milk with pure cocoa or a pastry for a few ounces of cocoa without added sugar, you can take away the cravings for chocolate without being harmful to your health.
Taking these little tips into consideration, you can help your body function normally again, by purging the toxins that you have accumulated because of tobacco use.
A fact that should not be ignored when the temptation to smoke again strikes, is that women who smoke more than 10 cigarettes a day are more likely to suffer an earlier menopause, anticipating a minimum of 2 years with respect to non-smoking women.
If you’re considering getting pregnant, it’s time for both partners to stop smoking. Tobacco is not only detrimental to fertility. For the future of the baby, if the pregnant woman is exposed either to passive smoking or lives in a house where there are toxins in it, then keeping this lifestyle is not a good option.
We’ll get in touch with you
Do you have questions you need answered? Contact us to request more information or an initial medical appointment, at the clinic or by videoconference. Leave us your contact information, and we’ll call you. Without any waiting lists.