30 May How to emotionally deal with a fertility treatment?
All medical treatments can affect the psychological state of the patient. When a couple tries to conceive without success they are united a set of emotions that go from the fear of failure, to anxiety and even depression.
In a fertility clinic, it’s very important to take into account the emotional state of the patients since it can affect both the treatment and the development of the future pregnancy.
What can you do to take care of your emotional health?
Having gone to a fertility clinic is a very important step for a couple. It means that they have been trying to conceive for some time but have not yet succeeded. Taking into account this information, the emotional state may already be affected, and this factor can affect the success of fertility treatments.
It is common that the stress derived from trying to have a child without success can cause a psychological infertility. Therefore, it is important to stay positive and as relaxed as possible during the treatment.
Here are some basic tips to maintain good emotional health during fertility treatment:
- Continue with your normal life, do not stay at home thinking about the treatment, whether it will work out or not, how worried you are, etc.
- Include an exercise routine if you did not have it before. Performing physical activity will help you clear your mind while improving your fertility if you are overweight.
- Keep a varied and healthy diet. Taking more fruit and vegetables and less processed foods rich in sugars and fats will improve your mood.
- If you’re a couple, remember that the treatment is between the two of you. Maintaining a couple attitude and facing each situation together will help strengthen your relationship even more and maintain hope until the positive arrives.
- Write a list of all the questions that you have come up with for your fertility doctor. This way, you’ll feel more confident and secure.
- Maintain an active social life. Going out with friends, having a couple dinner, enjoying a romantic getaway, etc. It will help make the time pass faster and make you forget about the treatment.
What can your fertility clinic do to help you?
In the first place, it is important that the clinic you have chosen keeps in mind the importance of this aspect in any treatment that is carried out. For example, in Reproclinic we have a psychological support unit that will carry out a rigorous evolution and analysis of the patient’s condition before and during the treatment.
The staff must maintain a caring, personalized, transparent and positive attitude, making sure not to create false expectations that can’t be met.
Second, the clinic should offer all possible information before each treatment. The percentages of success, the situation in which the patient finds himself, how to increase the chances of success, etc.
In conclusion, how should a fertility treatment be emotionally dealt with?
Taking all these aspects into account, fertility treatments should always be accompanied by psychological support. Stress, negativity or depression in the most severe cases are detrimental to female and male fertility.
In summary, to be at your best emotional health during fertility treatments, it is recommended to remain calm, explain all concerns to your fertility doctor and continue with your normal life.
You should never lose hope as nowadays there are more and more technological advances, highly trained experts and genetic studies that can increase the chances of having a healthy baby. Your moment will come, you just have to take a deep breath, relax and wait.
We’ll get in touch with you
Do you have questions you need answered? Contact us to request more information or an initial medical appointment, at the clinic or by videoconference. Leave us your contact information, and we’ll call you. Without any waiting lists.